GPS Coordinates: 36.48772, -116.87783 (36°29’15.8″N 116°52’40.2″W)
Take a short drive along the Mustard Canyon Drive from Harmony Borax Works, via the unpaved road, and you will enter the Mustard Canyon. This canyon, filled with bright yellow colored and looks like nothing you would have seen anywhere in the world before. The drive is short and easy to access using any kind of vehicle.
Best time to visit
It is best to visit during the day when the sun is high up in the sky. This works well as the whole canyon is lit up in bright yellow as it reflects off the sand.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Digital Camera with Ultrawide or Normal to Mid-Range Zoom Lens
- Cable shutter release or Remote Shutter Release
- Neutral Density filters and polarizers
- Steady Tripod
- Layered clothing to adapt to the changing weather or pack a sweater or windbreaker
- Carry plenty of water and snacks to keep yourself full and hydrated
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Ball cap to protect your head from the heat
How to get there
From Furnace Creek drive north on highway 190. After 1.5 miles turn left on Borax Mine Road and continue on Mustard Canyon Drive.
Place to Stay
There are plenty of campsites in and around Furnace Creek all available in a first come first serve basis. You can book your campsite at the Visitors Center or use the Campsite Kiosk. You have Furnace Creek Campground, Texas Springs Campground and Sunset Campground with decent facilities.
Pictorial Highlights from this place…